Thursday 19 January 2017

Caspian Gull on my Rotherhithe doorstep

I had a bit of a shock today. Having been to the dentist at lunchtime, I thought a cheeky check of the river nearby in Rotherhithe on the way back to school was in order. Just assumed I may get a Black-headed Gull or Herring Gull ring at best. But no - bins up, and bang there is a monster of a 1st-winter Caspian Gull sitting on the sand (what I refer to as 'the beach') by the Hilton Hotel. Get the camera out, press the trigger and... no memory card! What a completely unprofessional manoeuvre. No problem, I would just drive a couple of minutes home and get it. Nope, after scuffling about I realised I'd left my house keys at school.

No way was I going to be defeated though and I racked my brains over potential solutions. My first ever first-winter Caspian Gull in Rotherhithe and I had completely ballsed things up. Extreme actions were needed, and so I made a mad dash to the Tesco at Canada Water where I dashed in and out, spent £12 on a memory card and all for...


1st-winter Caspian Gull Rotherhithe, London 19th January 2017
One of the best ways I have ever spent £12 to be honest. Lovely bird, and always a pleasure to get something like this slap bang where you live. And also a different individual to any of those we've been seeing in the Greenwich/Thames Barrier area recently. Normally this blog does indeed focus on the 'beyond' in its title but for once, Rotherhithe was on form today. Bring on the weekend!
1st-winter Caspian Gull Rotherhithe, London 19th January 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment