Tuesday 23 December 2014

Just a few birds in Mallorca

I've just returned from 4 relaxing days on Mallorca. Bird wise, it was a non event. In brief the birds were relatively uncooperative, I didn't try too hard as a lot of it was standard Mediterranean stuff I'd seen many times before. Mind you, as I was staying in the mountains around Puigpunyent, the hotel grounds held Hawfinch, Cirl Buntings, Black Redstarts and more Firecrests than I've probably ever seen before. So I suppose I did see some birds. Not many gulls though, which is what it's all about. Just a few of these around Alcudia one evening: -
Audouin's Gull Alcudia, Mallorca 21st December 2014
Other than that, I visited Porto Colom where Andy H had given me some nailed on info about where to find Balearic Warblers. And so I parked in the northeast corner of the harbour, then walked along the gravel track (Cami de S'Algar) to the coast. From here I walked south past the cove, and was able to locate about four Balearic Warblers in the low coastal scrub - pretty camera shy though, and with Karen waiting about ready for lunch, I didn't hang around. Lots of Sardinian Warblers, a couple of Thekla Larks and thankfully copious numbers of Song Thrushes. Mediterranean Shags (race desmarestii) were nice and showy in the harbour here too, with good numbers also seen up the coast near Alcudia.
Mediterranean Shag Porto Colom, Mallorca 21st December 2014
Perhaps with a bit more effort, I could probably have seen a few more species, but for some reason this place really didn't inspire me to get out and about birding too much. I'll be glad to get back to London birding in the morning!
adult Yellow-legged Gull Port d'Andratx, Mallorca 23rd December 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment