Wednesday 24 December 2014

Delivering Christmas presents in Sevenoaks

I got back from Mallorca late last night, and tasked with a few chores today I started early. Had a couple of pleasant hours in Sevenoaks delivering present to my brother, his wife, my niece and nephews. Genuinely, they live exactly 1.1 miles from Sevenoaks WR and despite much contemplating of driving straight past, I gave in. It was rude not to have a look. Who wouldn't if you were that close?
American White Ibis Sevenoaks WR, Kent 24th December 2014
Having been present a few weeks now, this juvenile American White Ibis sparked a remarkable degree of interest from specific quarters within the hardcore twitching fraternity. As someone who formerly went for dross like this at the drop of the hat, I've learnt that in terms of the listing game this sort of stuff gets you nowhere. African Spoonbill, Purple Gallinule, Spur-winged Plover, Chinese Pond Heron, Cinnamon Teal, Pied Crow... seen 'em all. End result - zero. All nice to see of course, God's creatures and all that. I headed back into London, and drew blanks at Crossness and Burgess Park, where I couldn't even locate the Med Gull. And there was I thinking Mallorca was devoid of birds.

To liven things off, here's an American White Ibis from earlier this year, looking slightly less pissed off in the Texas sun.
American White Ibis High Island, Texas April 2014
Hope everyone has a decent Christmas. What present would I like? A belated one next autumn, an Eastern Crowned Warbler holding out for me please.

No comments:

Post a Comment